Friday 28 June 2013

HOW MY MOTHER CRASHED MY WEDDING





Sometimes, wedding crashers come from within the family. It might be unintentional or most times intentional; whatever. I had a case where the mother of the bride insisted on the cake for her daughter’s wedding to be baked by her sister. I was so amazed and dumb-founded as I had never heard of the so-called aunt’s cake baking firm before and I immediately got to find out that she was just a petty pastry maker.

As the wedding planner of the wedding, I tried to talk the mother of the bride out of it but she insisted that the aunt was the favorite of the daughter and wanted to give her a wedding cake as a gift. I decided to lay low so I would not get involved in a tussle with her.

On the faithful day, the cake did not come out as expected and what followed it was not a funny tale. The bride got so bitter with the cake and refused to use it for her reception. It made her so angry and she began exchanging words with her mum leading to steams of tears flowing down her cheek; this was not what she dreamt her wedding would look like.

She took some time outside the reception hall to cry her anger out and I took that as an opportunity to calm her down with the assistance of the chief bride’s-maid as there was no alternative at that time. She was so mad at her mum and everything but I consoled her telling her that her mum never meant bad for her but probably over estimated the confidence in her aunt. I also told her that she could decide to give room to people to crash her big day or just ignore; I advised her to ignore them and carry on with the cake. It was not an easy situation as it is usually difficult to calm the bride down when she is in such raised temper.

We were finally able to calm her down and everything continued smoothly. At the end of the day, I breathed a heavy sigh of relief as I knew that this issue as minor as it may seem could spoil the whole event.

No comments: